|From our classroom at DeVry in Orlando Florida, we bring you a geek mixin. To our host, DeVry University, and to all the new folks who came for this discussion, thank you, and welcome to our group.|
Topic: Social Software
- Q: What is social software?
- A: If it's vulnerable to spam, it's social software
- How to defeat a captcha, and what does that have to do with social software?
- Q: What creates, defines, shapes, and establishes a community or cultures.
- A: Agreed agreements.
Social Bookmarking, tagging, and the semantic web
- What is podcasting? ... screencasting?
- The enclosure tag in RSS 2.0 ... Dave Winer
- TWiT - This week in Tech - Leo Laporte, Patrick Norton, Kevin Rose, John C. Dvorak, and other tech luminaries.
- Skype - internet telephony
- casting 5 openalpha http://openalpha.tv/
- rss 5 Ebay <- VeriSign <- Weblogs.com
- Great overview of ... Social Bookmarking Tools (I): A General Review.
- Joshua Schachter
- From the del.icio.us mailing list:
interesting to degree to which this replicates spam alternatives. Mine
is the blacklist/filter out strategy: Exclude the unwanted down to a
manageable S/N -- disadvantage being frequent pruning and increasingly
baroque strategies. Advantage being preservation of serendipity. Tom's
is the whitelist/filter in strategy: Include only the obviously
relevant people and tags -- disadvantage being loss of serendipity,
advantage being great stability in set up over longer time periods." --
- What is flickr?
- de.lirio.us is an open source del.icio.us, also http://dev.twaggle.com/
- Mini "interview" with Steve Mallet, creator of del.irio.us (i.e. email excerpts):
- Q: does the de.lirio.us code base have any features to prevent spam on the de.lirio.us site yet?
- A: No, but we're moving to a new code base soon: dev.twaggle.com
- Q: Is there a corresponding url to del.icio.us/popular on the de.lirio.us site?
- A: Not yet. See last ...
- Q: Is there a mailing list for de.lirio.us?
- A: No, but I'll be setting up a more general bookmarking & de.lirio.us specific mailing list.
- unalog - open source del.icio.us written in python ... perl folks seem to like it also they have related code.
- tagzania - - tagging the planet! ... tags with lat + long entended info ... creative!
is a searchable del.icio.us with automagic, hierarchical clustering.
(Users can also manually create hierarchical tag sets.) So, instead of
seeing a long list of links on the left and a long list of tags on the
right, at RawSugar you see a list of links on the bottom and your
top-level tag categories on the top. The higher level tags are
automatically propagated to the lower level ones. So far there is no
way for users to publish their tag sets so others can use them.
- frassle - your weblog | aggregator | studio - manage information overload
- furl - yet another social bookmarking site
- Semantic Web
- a project intending to create a universal medium for info exchange by
giving meaning (semantics), in a manner understandable by machines, to
the content of documents on the Web.
- tagging 1 librarything.com - lets you list your books, tag them, and share the list with others. http://www.librarything.com/
- tagging 1 The Web-based Office will have its day http://blogs.zdnet.com/web2explorer/index.php?p=20
- tagging 2 Early AJAX Office Applications http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/09/29/000223&tid=126
- Greasemonkey - a Firefox plug which lets you to add bits of DHTML ("user scripts") to any web page to change its behavior.
- Jon Udell's Weblog - some people are good enough to get paid for it. Check out his screencasts!
- Jon Udell's Screencasts - Here is a great one titled ... "Content, services, and the yin-yang of intermediation"
- Google ig - AJAX drag and drop customizable personal page for those of us with gmail
- design 1 Ning - Ning is a free online service (or, as we
like to call it, a Playground) for building and using social
applications. Social apps are web applications that enable anyone to
match, transact, and communicate with other people. http://www.ning.com/
- design 2 fckeditor - sigh http://fckeditor.net/demo/default.html
- design 3 10 best bookmarklets http://www.lifehacker.com/software/feature/special-geek-to-live-129141.php
- Q: What is RSS?
- Rich Site Summary (RSS 0.91)
- RDF Site Summary (RSS 0.9 and 1.0)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Description_Framework
- Really Simple Syndication (RSS 2.0)
- Digg - rather than allowing an editor to decide which stories go on the homepage, the users do.
- Diggnation - videos made by the creators of Digg, where they comment on the latest "diggs"
- Digg vs. Slashdot-
Slashdot started out right with moderated comments ... digg just took
that to the front page ... not enough overthrow commander taco, but may
raise his eyebrows so that he checks diggs before deciding ... all in
all cmdr taco benefits, and Kevin Rose scales Digg, and they all
continue to make more money than us ...
- Yahoo! white paper ... RSS - Crossing into the Mainstream ... Yahoo! Groups is popular ... imagine that
- Tim Yang's doku wiki ...things you can do with rss ...
- speaking of Tim Yang ... check out his RSS feed generator called scrappygoo
- Feedburner - itunes compatible RSS generator ... helps you create, publicize and distribute your podcast.
- Feeder an application for publishing RSS feeds on Mac OS X with FULL show notes in the feed with the audio.
- Technoogle - a blogger has a nice list of RSS ping sites.
- Bloglines - a web interface for your RSS feeds.
- technorati - popular like del.icio.us, but has gone down hill IMHO.
- Feedster - top 500 blogs
- PubSub - Another Newsfeed search engine, but it also helps you turn your searches into RSS feeds like scrappygoo
- feedshake - merge, sort, filter several feeds into one?
- Pessemistic about tagging? You may agree with Peter Morville's views on the furtue of tagging
- Longhorn Hearts RSS (low res)
- Longhorn Hearts RSS (hi res) - judge for yourself, but don't skip this one.
- Notes on RSS:
- RSS 1.0 has a way to include HTML in the feed. RSS 2.0 doesn't. Atom does, and also supports XHTML.
1.0 is extensible in a standard way via namespaces. RSS 2.0 is extended
via ad-hoc additions. Atom is extensible via namespaces.
- RSS has 11 different varieties, 9 if you exclude the two attempts at an RSS 3. Atom has a single variety.
- Atom is more complicated than RSS 1.0, which is more complicated than RSS 2.0.
- RSS wins -ATOM death toll
- rss 1 bloglines.com api http://www.bloglines.com/services/api/
- rss 2 bloglines.com services http://bloglines.com/services/
3 FeedTree: Collaborative micronews delivery ... brings news feed
updates to users, instead of the other way around. FeedTree users work
together to share news as soon as it is available. Feed updates arrive
immediately, instead of on a polling schedule, making RSS as
instantaneous as e-mail http://feedtree.net/